With so many different types of plastic used for packaging consumer products today, it can be confusing to know which plastics can be recycled in Hilex Poly’s Bag-2-Bag recycling program. Most plastic bags, sacks and wraps can be recycled in the Bag-2-Bag program, but it is important to make sure all items have the number 2 or 4 imprinted on the plastic. These numbers, which are called resin identifier codes (RICs), appear in triangles made of chasing arrows and signify that the bag, sack or wrap is made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) or low-density polyethylene (LDPE) plastic. Any plastic with other RICs or no RICs should not be included in the Bag-2-Bag recycling program.
Pictured to the right are a few of the common types of plastic bags, sacks and wraps that are accepted in our Bag-2-Bag recycling program. These items can be easily recycled in our recycling bins located in participating retailers throughout the U.S.:
- Grocery bags (don’t forget to remove the receipt!)
- Produce bags (make sure to clean bags to avoid pests!)
- Dry cleaning bags
- Newspaper bags
- Toilet paper packaging and paper towel packaging
- Bottle overwrap (the plastic casing around packages of water or other beverages)
- Bread bags (make sure the bread is gone!)
- Zip lock bags (remove the zipper – it can’t be recycled with the bag!)
- Trash bags (remove the draw string!)
- Plastic packaging around consumer electronics
For more information on how our Bag-2-Bag recycling program works, click here.